Access Keys:

St MacNissi's Primary School, Larne


St MacNissi’s Primary School first opened in 1993, and continues the long history of catholic Education in Larne.

The McKenna Memorial which was the Boys’ Primary from 1895 and St Mary’s  the Girls’ Primary from 1865 were eventually deemed unsuitable and the Parish Priest at the time (Fr Murphy) set about the provision of a replacement.

St Joseph’s Boys’ Primary School was built on land which had been formerly Fleming’s Nursery, and was opened on 1st September l968.  A new toilet block and some refurbishment of classrooms allowed St Mary’s to remain as the Girls’ Primary School.

In 1993 St Mary’s and St Joseph’s ceased to exist as separate entities and merged to become St MacNissi’s Primary.  The two older buildings of St Joseph’s and St Mary’s continued to be used until 1999 when St Joseph’s was demolished.  The closure of St Mary’s school in 1993 ended the long and distinguished association of the Cross and Passion Order with the education of Catholic girls in Larne.

 The new St MacNissi’s building opened on 1st September 2000.